Saturday, March 23, 2013

Thrifted Finds: The Grandpa Sweater


Today, I'd like to feature an article of clothing I thrifted a couple of weekends ago. I know at first glance, it appears to only be a lumpy old sweater--but I'd like to call this specific piece: the grandpa sweater. You know, the old same old sweater your gramps wears in layers and layers, reeking a strangely familiar stench of mothballs and herbal tea. Incorporating bold prints and crafted with care using scratchy acrylic wool (or if you're lucky--plush cashmere)--these guys are guaranteed a regular at our local thrift store.

This particular specimen shown above sports a very neutral color scheme accented with a nice robin's egg blue slightly past expiration. Endowed with worn-down, cross-hatched knobby buttons completes the entire ensemble, giving a very medieval peasant-like feel to the entire garment.

I found the grunge-y camel-colored knit sandwiched between two other like-colored cousins in the five dollars or less aisle. After several moments of careful inspection, a sniff test (no signs of decay or old people smell!), and one last careful consideration, I gave into my delusions actually wearing this piece in real life.

Envisioning myself at a bonfire beach party, I think this grandpa sweater would go very nicely with some denim cutoffs and maybe a delicate sheer crop top of some sort. The sandy brown shade and slightly grey-blue pattern would perfectly compliment my surroundings--and for practical use, the roughness of this fabric would provide warmth after sunset. Sadly, there are neither bonfires nor beaches nearby where I live--As of right now, only snow. But who says a girl can't dream of Californian weather all year round?

Sincerely,
Jenny a.k.a goodwillgrrl

No comments:

Post a Comment